Palanth Forum
August 24, 2019, 11:38:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Sam VanLandingham's Latest Hueyatlaco Report  (Read 4743 times)
Charlie Hatchett

« on: May 27, 2009, 07:15:15 PM »

VanLandingham, S.L., 2009, Use of diatom biostratigraphy in determining a minimum (Sangamonian = 80,000--ca.220,000 yr. BP) and a maximum (Illinoian = 220,000--430,00 yr. BP) age for the Hueyatlaco artifacts, Puebla, Mexico. Nova Hedwigia (February, 2009), Beiheft 135, p. 15-36.

Abstract: The diatom biostratigraphy presented herein establishes a minimum (Sangamonian) and a maximum (Illinoian) age for the younger (bifacial) artifacts at the Hueyatlaco archaeological site in units B,C, and E, Puebla, Mexico. One of the 13 samples in this study is from a position of Sangamonian age which is stratigraphically higher than the artifacts. The minimum age of this sample (from unit B) is demonstrated by 6 taxa which became extinct at the end of the Sangamonian , and its maximum age (also Sangamonian) is denoted by 3 taxa with earliest known first occurrences in the Sangamonian. The diatoms of the remaining 12 samples have a minimum age of Sangamonian. Three of the 13 samples are in unit I and no Hueyatlaco artifacts are known below this unit.

VanLandingham major Valsequillo area diatom/chrysophyte papers, to date:

VanLandingham, S.L. in press, Use of diatoms in determining age and paleoenvironment of the Valsequillo (Hueyatlaco) early man site, Puebla, Mexico, with corroboration by Chrysophta cysts for a maximum Yarmouthian (430,000 - 500,000 yr BP) age of the artifacts, International Chrysophyte Symposium volume.

----------, 2009, Use of diatom biostratigraphy in determining a minimum (Sangamonian = 80,000--ca. 220,000 yr. BP) and a maximum (Illinoian = 220,000--430,000 yr. BP) age for the Hueyatlaco artifacts, Puebla, Mexico. Nova Hedwigia, Beiheft 135, p. 15-36.

----------, 2008, Yarmouthian (430,000 - 500,000 yr BP) chrysophyte cyst assemblages aid in corroborating a maximum Illinoian (ca. 220,000 - 430,000 yr BP) age for the artifacts at the Hueyatlaco site, Puebla, Mexico (abs.), 7th International Chrysophyte Symposium, Connecticut College, 270 Mohegan Ave., New London, Connecticut, June 22-26, 2008, Program (with abstracts)

Abstract: Bona fide artifacts have been found in situ in sedimentary deposits which, by various reputable means (including fossil cysts), have been demonstrated to be older than the Last Ice Age, but most American archaeologists disagree. No other archaeological site in the world is known to be associated with such highly significant age and environmentally diagnostic cyst/diatom evidence as Hueyatlaco. Two diagnostic Yarmouthian (430,000 - 500,000 yr BP) cyst assemblages (in samples VL2149 and VL2316) occur in a bed (Unit J) which is conformably below (and older) than the lowermost artifact-bearing bed (Unit I) at the Hueyatlaco archaeological site. And these two samples correlate with a third diagnostic Yarmouthian sample (68M288=VL2243) from a core 7 km NNW at Rancho Batan. The extinctions and earliest known first occurrences of the 26 extant and 8 extinct cyst taxa in the three samples (with a minimum 430,000 yr BP Yarmouthian age) corroborate a maximum of 430,000 yr BP age for the Hueyatlaco artifacts which previously was established by means of cyst/diatom assemblages with a maximum age of Illinoian (220,000 - 430,000 yr BP) in Unit I.

----------, 2006, Diatom evidence for autochthonous artifact deposition in the Valsequillo region, Puebla, Mexico during the Sangamonian (sensu lato = 80,000 to ca 220,000 yr BP and Illinoian (220,000 to 430,000 yr BP). J. Paleolimnol, 36, 101-116.

----------, 2004, Corroboration of Sangamonian age of artifacts from the Valsequillo region, Puebla, Mexico by means of diatom biostratigraphy. micropaleontology, 50:4, 313-342.

----------, 2002, Corroboration of Sangamonian Interglacial age artifacts at the Valsequillo archaeological area, Puebla, Mexico, by means of paleoecology and biostratigraphy of Chrysophyta cysts. Transactions of the 37th Regional Archaeological Symposium for Southern New Mexico and West Texas -- Southwestern Federation of Archaeological Societies Annual Meeting, April 6-7, 2001, Iraan, Texas, pp. 1-14.

----------, 2000, Sangamonian Interglacial (Middle Pleistocene) environments of deposition of artifacts at the Valsequillo archaeological site, Puebla, Mexico. Transactions, 35th Regional Archaeological Symposium for Southern New Mexico and Western Texas -- Southwest Federation of Archaeological Societies Annual Meeting, April 9-11, 1999, Midland, Texas, pp. 81-98.

Jacques Cinq-Mars

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Dear Charlie,

Thanks for the reference to this recent VanLandingham paper. Together with the earlier ones, the Valsequillo case gets increasingly intriguing. I wonder what Waters thinks about all this.

By the way, do you know VanLandingham's email address. I would like to ask him a few questions, both general and specific.

Jacques
Charlie Hatchett

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:38:34 PM »

Dear Charlie,

Thanks for the reference to this recent VanLandingham paper. Together with the earlier ones, the Valsequillo case gets increasingly intriguing. I wonder what Waters thinks about all this.

By the way, do you know VanLandingham's email address. I would like to ask him a few questions, both general and specific.

Jacques

You're welcome, Jacques.

Last I heard Waters thought there might be a younger inset within the older strata. However, AFAIK, he hasn't offered up any firm evidence of it yet. Sam's work certainly challenges the inset hypothesis.

Sam's email address is:

By the way, will you email me?

My computer crashed several weeks ago and I lost your email address.

Thanks,

Charlie

Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: