Palanth Forum
August 24, 2019, 12:02:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Occurrence of Pre-Sangamonian Artefacts in Northern Yukon  (Read 2140 times)
Charlie Hatchett

« on: June 17, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

Hi Jacques.

I just ran across this paper:

Stratigraphic, Sedimentological and Faunal Evidence for the
Occurrence of Pre-Sangamonian Artefacts in Northern Yukon "
A. V. JOPLING,' W. N. IRVING2 and B. F. BEEBE2

ABSTRACT. The stratigraphic position of artefacts of undoubted Pleistocene age found in the Old Crow Basin has long been in question.
We report on geological, palaeontological and archaeological excavations and studies there which show that artefacts made by humans
occur in deposits of Glacial Lake Old Crow laid down before Sangamonian time, probably during a phase of the Illinoian (=Riss) glaciation.
The geological events surrounding and following the deposition of Glacial Lake Old Crow were complicated by a changing lake level,
localized soft-sediment flowage, pingo formation and dissolution, and by the colluvial transport of vertebrate fossils and artefacts.
Following deepwater stages of the Lake, an environment not greatly different from that of the present is suggested by the excavated
vertebrate fauna and by permafrost features, although warming during the succeeding Sangamon can be considered likely. Sangamonian
and later phenomena in the Old Crow Basin are referred to briefly; they show that humans persisted in the area for some time.

What do you make of it?

Thanks,

Charlie

Jacques Cinq-Mars

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »

Hi Jacques.

I just ran across this paper:

Stratigraphic, Sedimentological and Faunal Evidence for the
Occurrence of Pre-Sangamonian Artefacts in Northern Yukon "
A. V. JOPLING,' W. N. IRVING2 and B. F. BEEBE2

ABSTRACT. The stratigraphic position of artefacts of undoubted Pleistocene age found in the Old Crow Basin has long been in question.
We report on geological, palaeontological and archaeological excavations and studies there which show that artefacts made by humans
occur in deposits of Glacial Lake Old Crow laid down before Sangamonian time, probably during a phase of the Illinoian (=Riss) glaciation.
The geological events surrounding and following the deposition of Glacial Lake Old Crow were complicated by a changing lake level,
localized soft-sediment flowage, pingo formation and dissolution, and by the colluvial transport of vertebrate fossils and artefacts.
Following deepwater stages of the Lake, an environment not greatly different from that of the present is suggested by the excavated
vertebrate fauna and by permafrost features, although warming during the succeeding Sangamon can be considered likely. Sangamonian
and later phenomena in the Old Crow Basin are referred to briefly; they show that humans persisted in the area for some time.

What do you make of it?

Thanks,

Charlie

Charlie,

Simply put, this article deals with in info gathered in the context of field and lab work carried out by various members of the Northern Research Programme -- known as NYRP -- between 1975 and 1979. The director of NYRP was the late W.N. Irving (main author of the article), and I was co-director of both field and lab operations. In other words, I know all there is to know about the story behind the paper, and more. I will also add that I disagreed -- for a number of valid reasons that I may discuss later -- with most of the auuthors' geochronological and archaeological interpretations.

Jacques
Charlie Hatchett

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:43:26 PM »

Thanks Jacques.

Yeah, if you find the time, I'd love to hear some of your opinions, especially now knowing that you were on the actual project.

Charlie

Robert Henvell

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:52:29 PM »

Jacques,
Did your field trip last summer reveal any new data?
Bob
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: